Two Day ‘Momentum Jharkhand’ Global Investor Summit 2017 Concluded in Ranchi
Mar 17, 2017
The two day Global Investors’ Summit (GIS) 2017 was held at Khelgaon in Ranchi, Jharkhand from February 16-17, 2017 with the brand name ‘Momentum Jharkhand’.
- Aim: To promote industrial activity in Jharkhand and establish the state as one of the prime investment destination of Eastern India.
- The “Global Investor Summit” 2017 was organized by the Jharkhand government in partnership with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). This is the first time that Jharkhand held the Investors Meet.
- The Summit was inaugurated by the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley while Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the summit through video-conferencing.
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni was the brand ambassador of the event.
A Flying Red Elephant was the mascot for the Jharkhand’s Global Investors Summit (GIS) 2017.
- It was designed by AdFactor, a public relation and advertising company based in Mumbai.
- The elephant was chosen as the mascot since it was the state animal and also represents strength, youthfulness and dreams to be fulfilled. The mascot has green wings and also Sohrai art work on the body.
- The red colour represents minerals, green wings symbolize forest cover while Sohrai art depicts the fact that Jharkhand doesn’t want to ignore its indigenous art forms and customs.
- The flying elephant shows that it was time to forget about Jharkhand’s past, which was heavy and depressed. It shows that with new policy decisions the Jharkhand state is now ready to take off, despite the heavy losses of the past.
- The ‘Momentum Jharkhand’ mascot was showcased at major road shows prior to the event and was also a part of posters, hoardings and advertisements for the GIS.
About the Summit
The two-day global investors’ summit (GIS) saw the participation of over 9500 foreign and domestic delegates.
- Delegates from four partner countries namely Japan, Czech Republic, Tunisia and Mongolia as well as those from 28 countries such as Australia, the US, Britain, Russia, China, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Italy, and Pakistan, among others attended the meet
- On February 16, 2017, a sectoral sessions was held on infrastructure development, Make in Jharkhand Urban Development & Smart city and Mining & Mineral Development.
- On the February 17, the sectoral sessions was held on IT/ITeS, ESDM & Start-ups, high education & healthcare, agro & food processing and textile & footwear.
- Some of the eminent Central Ministers present at the event includes, Union Ministers Rajnath Singh, Venkaiah Naidu, Piyush Goyal, Smriti Irani, Jayant Sinha, Sudershan Bhagat, Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghuwar Das.
- Leading Indian Industrialists like Ratan Tata, Kumar Mangalam Birla, Shashi Ruia, Navin Jindal, Rajesh Adani, and Anil Agrawal also addressed the gathering.
- Some leading industrialists and Ambassadors and High Commissioners of other countries were also present at the gathering.
- Jharkhand chief minister Raghubar Das also announced that the state would hold a three-day Pravasi Jharkhand Divas on November 28, 29 and 30 in 2018 and another Global Investor Summit in 2019-20.
Jharkhand Signs 209 MoU with different companies at Concluding Day of Global Investors Submit
On the concluding day of the 2017 Global Investors Summit on February 17, 2017, 209 MoUs were signed between nine departments of the Jharkhand government worth Rs 3,03,987 crore with different companies.
- The 209 proposals is expected to create 2,09,176 direct employment and 3,92,150 indirect employment as per the state government.
- Of the nine departments, the highest amount of MoU was signed by the Department of Industries, Mines and Geology worth Rs 2,10,505 crore. This department signed a total of 121 proposals and is expected to generate 67,519 direct employment opportunities.
- The second highest amount of MoU was signed by the Department of Urban Development and Housing worth Rs 38,320 crore.
- The Department of Energy signed proposals worth Rs 37,150 crore.
Other departments which signed MoUs include
1. Department of Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Cooperative worth Rs 1,900 cores
2. Department of Health, Medical Education and Family Welfare worth Rs 2,060 crore
3. Department of Higher and Technical Education worth Rs 3,231 crore
4. Department of IT and e-Governance worth Rs 8,499 crore
5. Besides, the Chief minister Raghuvar Das also handed over lands rights to a number of companies which had signed MoUs some two three months before on the concluding day of the summit.
6. The government handed over 66 acres of land to Lafarge India for setting up a cements plant with 300 crore rupees.
7. Similarly Hindustan Petroleum was handed over 58.86 acres of land for setting up LPG bottling plant with an investment of 85 crore rupees promising jobs to 85 people.
Jharkhand is a state in eastern India carved out of the southern part of Bihar on 15 November 2000. The state shares its border with the states of Bihar to the north, Uttar Pradesh and Chhattisgarh to the west, Odisha to the south, and West Bengal to the east.
- The industrial city of Ranchi is its capital.Jharkhand has some of the country’s highly industrialised cities such as Jamshedpur, Dhanbad, Ranchi and Bokaro Steel City.
- Jharkhand is currently ranked third by World Bank report in terms of Ease of Doing Business in the country.
- Government of Jharkhand has taken numerous steps towards improvement of overall investment climate to promote industrial activity in the State and establish Jharkhand as one of the prime investment destination of Eastern India
- They have successfully implemented the framework of ‘Ease of Doing Business’ and have devised business friendly policies which have been instrumental in significantly reforming Jharkhand’s business climate.
- Governor: Draupadi Murmu
- Chief Minister: Raghubar Das (BJP)
- Capital: Ranchi
- Largest city: Jamshedpur
Publication : Affairscloud